Software Engineer in Test
Software Engineer in Test (SDET)
We are building a blockchain-based derivatives exchange and are looking for a skilled software test engineer to help keep a focus on quality. This is a great opportunity to join a small, VC-funded start-up with an office in London’s fintech hub. We have a working prototype and are well on our way to delivering the first version of the alpha.
We are designing the future for derivatives trading and our software will be a critical system for large financial institutions. With potentially trillions of dollars flowing through the system, quality and correctness need to be built in from day one.
You're a software engineer with a focus on ensuring your platform is robust, reliable and correct. You can imagine edge cases and implement tests to demonstrate the issue, and in many cases fix them. You can read a software specification and identify when code deviates from it, or if revisions are required to the specification you can take it upon yourself to propose the changes. Spinning up a temporary test network to simulate a 6 month old blockchain to identify a performance issue sounds like an adventure, not a problem. You use code to automate wherever possible. You’re scientifically minded with a high aptitude for problem solving, you have impeccable organisational skills and strong attention to detail. Traffic mirroring and backtesting are some of the approaches you'll bring with you.
What you'll be doing
As a Software Test Engineer you will be a cornerstone of the engineering team, collaborating closely with the engineering, infrastructure, and product design teams. You will also be:
- Enforcing code quality including test strategies to ensure the robustness of our software, with a focus on automation
- Collaborating with the product team to extract acceptance criteria from specifications, and work with engineers to verify correctness of implementation
- Collaborating with the operations team to configure and set up complex CI/CD pipelines to ensure continuous testing of various test scenarios
- Validating and preparing internal and external software releases, from security, load testing to regression testing
- Testing the integration of various complex third parties with the Vega software (e.g: blockchain nodes, oracles, etc)
Relevant qualities or experience
- Strong software engineering and programming experience, for example with Java, Python, Golang or C++. Our software is predominantly written in Go.
- Experience with running at least one commercial production distributed system (e.g. blockchain, event sourcing, etc)
- Strong knowledge of QA Methodologies and tooling (e.g Cucumber, Gherkin, etc)
- Strong focus on automated testing to verify correct implementation of software specifications
- Ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Experience with white and black box testing
- Experience with virtual cloud servers and bare metal hardware
- Experience working with at least one public blockchain
- Experience building with gRPC
- Working knowledge of financial markets and exchanges
- Ability to take a problem, agree and write down a specification (including acceptance criteria), and to test that the resulting code matches the specification
- Ability to communicate technical concepts with other technical and non-technical team members
- Adherence to Agile frameworks and processes, particularly Scrum or Kanban
- Interest in or experience with networking (the social kind) / public speaking
Vega is building a high-throughput, low-latency platform for decentralised margin trading of financial products. We believe that markets should be open and participants should benefit from a well functioning marketplace.
We are a collaborative team of 16, interested in learning from each other and solving complex challenges together. We have a hub office in London, but are distributed across the world, which means we are open to flexible working hours and remote working. Our professional backgrounds include trading and markets infrastructure, development, academia, and business management.
To apply send your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org